RACE, RIGHTS, AND POLITICS: BLACK AND MINORITY POPULATIONS IN EUROPE
Wednesday, September 12, 2018
10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
Rayburn House Office Building
Live Webcast: www.facebook.com/HelsinkiCommission
Today, Europe is grappling with the complex intersection of national identity, immigration, and security concerns, as well as a rise in xenophobic violence. As a result, European states are facing increased scrutiny of their efforts to integrate minorities and migrants, with some questioning the commitment of European governments to democratic principles and human rights.
At the briefing, European political leaders will discuss the state of their democracies and recent efforts to address inclusion of Europe’s diverse populations, including findings from the European Parliament’s May 2018 People of African Descent Week and United Kingdom’s March 2018 Race Disparity Audit Report.
The following speakers are scheduled to participate:
- MP Olivio Kocsis-Cake (Hungary)
- MP Clive Lewis (United Kingdom)
- MP Killion Munyama (Poland)
- MP Aminata Toure (Schleswig-Holstein, Germany)
- Nero Ughwujabo, Special Adviser to Prime Minister Theresa May, Social Justice, Young People & Opportunities (United Kingdom)
- Alfiaz Vaiya, Coordinator, European Parliament Anti-Racism and Diversity Intergroup (ARDI)
- Simon Woolley, Director, Operation Black Vote; Chair, Prime Minister’s Race Disparity Advisory Group (United Kingdom)